Thursday, September 9, 2010

Brief Rome and Venice

Not much really to say about Rome, saw the obligatories and did our Vatican Necropolis Tour. Now that was something special, to see the necropolis which was buried by Emporer Constantine for the building of the first cathedral to St Peter. It was only excavated in the 1940s. It was incredible to see the tomb of St Peter, the little bit they would let us see that is. Very hot and humid under there, we were there for an hour. I found St Peter's Basilica itself to be magnificent but rather underwhelming. Enjoyed the Pantheon much more.

Our hotel was not in Rome as advertised, more like Campbelltown is to Sydney, only much less available public transport - 1 bus an hour which took an hour to get to thee nearest metro station. Taxi from the airport took over  an hour and cost 85 euros. After a rather dubious start, we decided we didn't mind the hotel and its location, just would have liked better food and public transport options. A footpath wouldn't have gone astray either.

Venice....oh what a  place. Very much heaven compared to Rome. I am in love. I have a new favourite place outside Australia. Amsterdam and Vanuatu have been kicked off the top, replaced by this marvel. We have walked and walked and walked (and caught the bus - the vaporeto, or waterbus). I dawned on me as we were wandering the streets late on our first night that there are no cars, buses, trucks, vespas, honking horns, bicycles - just pedestrians. Pure heaven. I could be easily tempted to stay here forever, if there were no tourist hordes, especially Americans. We have walked through amazing little alleys and streets, crossed I don't know how many bridges, seen so many masks (I want them all), beautiful glass and jewellery (mum wants it all). Today we even experienced the flooding of the streets at San Marco Square - it was coming into St Mark's Basilica while we were in there. The buildings are just gorgeous, the gondolas are serene. I love it. Did I mention that I love this place? And by the way, I love it!!!

Here is a picture of my souvenir of the trip. Handmade from leather and one-of-a-kind. Not quite a mask, but still distinctly Venice to me:

Only 3 more days and then we will be River Cruising. I am looking forwarding to unpacking and living out of a cupboard for 2 weeks!

Love to all

No comments:

Post a Comment